Human rights and advocacy
Migrant Offshore Aid Station - MOAS
Providing aid and assistance to the world’s most vulnerable communities.
MOAS is an international humanitarian organisation founded to mitigate human suffering and provide assistance to the most vulnerable communities in the world. Established as the first Search and Rescue NGO in the Mediterranean, MOAS has reached hundreds of thousands of people through its activities in Ukraine, Yemen, Somalia, Bangladesh and Malta since its inception. Between 2014 and 2017, during the SAR missions in the Central Mediterranean and the Aegean Sea, over 40,000 children, women and men were rescued. Most recently, in Ukraine, the MOAS emergency medical mission saved more than 10.000 lives on the frontline and treated more than 20.000 patients with a fleet of 27 ambulances and mobile clinics. MOAS is advocating for the implementation of #SafeAndLegalRoutes of migration so that people don’t have to risk their lives in search of safety or a better life. Inspired by innovation and efficiency, we are at the forefront of the humanitarian sphere. We offer a lifeline to migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in areas of crisis, and promote values of integration and solidarity. Our work is funded and supported by people worldwide who recognise the importance of empathy and solidarity against the "globalisation of indifference." With your support, we can continue to assist communities in need and save lives. A small gesture of love can give hope.
In Malta MOAS runs several different projects for migrants, ranging from education and personal development initiatives, culture and wellbeing to English language classes. Our main focus is to promote integration and independence of refugees and asylum seekers into the Maltese society. Our range of projects include:
- Learning and Information spaces to establish multifunctional learning spaces at the Open Centres.
- Remote learning initiatives for migrant students.
- ‘English for Beginners’ course to residents at some of the transitional housing centres.
- Family Hosting and Sponsorship projects to match vulnerable students with families residing in Malta.
- Integration Through Education and Information, to coordinate activities with stakeholders from voluntary organizations and migrant communities, to foster community engagement, inclusion and integration
- Hospital visits and post-discharge assistance to migrants receiving treatment, to ensure they felt supported and had access to services.