Social and community advancements
Migrant Women Association Malta
Committed towards empowering migrant women to enable them to integrate within the society of the host country in order to attain their full potential.
Migrant Women Association Malta (MWAM) is enrolled and classified as a civic and advocacy organisation. Since 2015, MWAM has been committed to empowering asylum seekers, refugees, and migrant women to enable them to fully integrate into Maltese society and seeking to make their clients aware of the challenges that women face. They work to facilitate their integration process by meeting their needs and creating different opportunities to facilitate their integration process.
MWAM have 6 main pillars which support their work:
- SUPPORT - They support Migrant, Refugees and asylum-seeking women, who fall in the extremely vulnerable groups yet at the same time have a great potential and capacity to overcome the situation they are going through when they arrive in a new country.
- ADVISE - They offer professional, organizational and even emotional advice for those in need. They value your confidentiality, and perceive themselves as a reference point to go to for support, advice, guidance and understanding.
- PROMOTE - They promote the personal empowerment of migrant, refugees and asylum-seeking women by achieving their integral development through the learning of new skills and knowledge that makes them aware and confident of their abilities.
- COLABORATE - MWAM participates in joint projects, seminars, supports and initiatives with other local and international NGOs, organisations and entities as well as with individuals to achieve a fairer world in which all people enjoy a life worth living.
- LISTEN - To the complaints of rights violations and cases of sexual and gender-based violence, offering guidance and safe spaces of trust and understanding.
- DEFEND - Human Rights and dignity of all people, focusing on refugees, asylum-seeking and migrant women.
Financial support needed to empower asylum seekers, refugees, and migrant women
Due to the pandemic, MWAM, like many other organizations, has been negatively impacted financially. Despite the aforementioned challenges mentioned, Migrant Women Association Malta has worked tirelessly to continue promoting social and communal advancement for migrant women in vulnerable positions by providing the following services:
- Immediate basic needs for women and families that are at risk of homeless due to losing a job or having a low income.
- Legal, Physiological and emotional support.
- Raise awareness on the prevention of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence.
- Raise awareness of the importance of mental health and self-care.
- Refer to the governmental, non-governmental, and international entities appropriate according to the client's needs.
- Reopening The SAHHA! is a project that was mainly established to find consistent solutions and create opportunities for female asylum seekers, refugees, and migrants who are jobless for different reasons, including the multiple issues they face related to lack of inclusion and gender equality.
They are kindly requesting financial support to cover the cost needed to sustain their work, to enable them to focus more on expanding and improving their services and projects effectively.