Social and community advancements
Migrant Women Association Malta
Committed towards empowering migrant women to enable them to integrate within the society of the host country in order to attain their full potential.
Migrant Women Association Malta (MWAM) is enrolled and classified as a civic and advocacy organisation. Since 2015, MWAM has been committed to empowering asylum seekers, refugees, and migrant women to enable them to fully integrate into Maltese society and seeking to make their clients aware of the challenges that women face. They work to facilitate their integration process by meeting their needs and creating different opportunities to facilitate their integration process.
MWAM have 6 main pillars which support their work:
- SUPPORT - They support Migrant, Refugees and asylum-seeking women, who fall in the extremely vulnerable groups yet at the same time have a great potential and capacity to overcome the situation they are going through when they arrive in a new country.
- ADVISE - They offer professional, organizational and even emotional advice for those in need. They value your confidentiality, and perceive themselves as a reference point to go to for support, advice, guidance and understanding.
- PROMOTE - They promote the personal empowerment of migrant, refugees and asylum-seeking women by achieving their integral development through the learning of new skills and knowledge that makes them aware and confident of their abilities.
- COLABORATE - MWAM participates in joint projects, seminars, supports and initiatives with other local and international NGOs, organisations and entities as well as with individuals to achieve a fairer world in which all people enjoy a life worth living.
- LISTEN - To the complaints of rights violations and cases of sexual and gender-based violence, offering guidance and safe spaces of trust and understanding.
- DEFEND - Human Rights and dignity of all people, focusing on refugees, asylum-seeking and migrant women.
Financial support needed to empower asylum seekers, refugees, and migrant women
Due to the pandemic, MWAM, like many other organizations, has been negatively impacted financially. Despite the aforementioned challenges mentioned, Migrant Women Association Malta has worked tirelessly to continue promoting social and communal advancement for migrant women in vulnerable positions by providing the following services:
- Immediate basic needs for women and families that are at risk of homeless due to losing a job or having a low income.
- Legal, Physiological and emotional support.
- Raise awareness on the prevention of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence.
- Raise awareness of the importance of mental health and self-care.
- Refer to the governmental, non-governmental, and international entities appropriate according to the client's needs.
- Reopening The SAHHA! is a project that was mainly established to find consistent solutions and create opportunities for female asylum seekers, refugees, and migrants who are jobless for different reasons, including the multiple issues they face related to lack of inclusion and gender equality.
They are kindly requesting financial support to cover the cost needed to sustain their work, to enable them to focus more on expanding and improving their services and projects effectively.
Sponsor MWAM's Pop Up Event!
The Pop Up Event initiative aims to practice sustainability by mending and upcycling donated clothing items.
MWAM receives many clothing donations distributed to female asylum seekers, refugees, and migrant women and their families who need them. After distribution, there are often clothes that are damaged or leftover. By partnering with Miss Sarah Portelli, a Maltese woman who works in the fashion industry, MWAM restored damaged pieces of clothing and upcycled the remaining materials to be repurposed and sold for fundraising purposes. MWA's first pop events were led by Sarah with her seamstress skills, with the assistance of one migrant woman interested in participating in the project event.
By using our office space to host the Pop-up Event last July, MWAM achieved the following objectives:
- Raise awareness about Refugee Week’s 2023 theme: 'Finding Freedom.'
- Raise awareness about MWAM’s work and services
- Raise funds to sustain the provision of MWAM’s services to our beneficiaries affected by sexual and gender-based violence and poverty.
- Offered an opportunity for migrant women to work closely with Maltese citizens in all steps related to the event.
- Network and build relationships with new supporters from the host community.
Allow MWAM to take practical action in environmental protection in Malta by turning part of their office into a workshop to teach migrant and Maltese women about mending and upcycling clothing in the future!
For more information on how you can help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers needed at Migrant Women Association!
MWAM organization seeks a dedicated volunteer to join our esteemed team as a Volunteer Program Coordinator.
The Volunteer Program Coordinator will be responsible for interviewing, hiring, and placing volunteers in various roles based on their qualifications, skills and interests.
Additionally, the Coordinator will maintain accurate volunteer records.
This role requires a weekly commitment of six hours and is open to all interested individuals.
If you are interested in this role, please submit your up-to-date curriculum vitae to email@example.com